Sunday, May 4, 2014

Setting SMART goals

91 miles run in April! Whoo hoo!
In January I made a goal to get my mileage back up to 100 miles a month. I have a feeling I'll meet that goal in May.
We've all heard a million times that we should set goals, but how often do we?  I remember being taught that goals should be "SMART".
  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Attainable
  • Realistic
  • Trackable
Right now I'm totally focused on my next goal--- run the Utah Valley Marathon in June. I want to get to the starting line injury free and finish the race in under 4hr 30min. I know there is a chance I'll fall short on my time goal, but I believe goals are suppose to stretch us, even if that means failing. If I fail in June, it will only drive me to train harder and try again.

Running has helped me make goal setting a pattern in other parts of my life as well. Every January I create goals in 5 different categories: "Spiritual", "physical", "home and family", "financial", and "other". They are posted in a place where I see them often. Running has taught me that it takes real determination and grit to meet a challenging goal. Anything worth while in this life is HARD and you have to WANT it!

My May Goals:
Spiritual- Read 15 of the LDS General Conference talks from the April session
Physical- Run 100+ miles
Home and family- Have 5 family nights and 2 date nights
Financial- Do 4 "check-ins" with the ol' budget
Other-Turn 31 years old and use all of my birthday money to register for the Utah Valley Marathon!

Anyone want to join me in any of my May goals? I'll be especially impressed if you can match my "other" category goal. :)

How do you keep yourself on track with setting and reaching goals?

Any fun plans for Cinco De Mayo? 

No comments:

Post a Comment