Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A spoonful of sugar....

I've been spending time evaluating why I'm eating. When I'm not physically hungry, I'm usually drawn to the kitchen when I'm trying to avoid something (like the 4 loads of laundry that need to be folded), my kids are being extra difficult, I'm tired, or I've just completed a big task and feel entitled to a "reward".  I've tried to recognize when I'm using food as a reward and replace the food with a "better" reward. Sometimes I'm able to do this but sometimes I just need some sugar. The big "S" word is just so darn effective at pacifying us emotionally. Perfect example happened when my oldest got his kindergarten shots last week:

Pre-shots "I'm so excited to go to Kindergarten!" picture

 Post-shots "I hate you mom and I want to punch you in the face, you big liar" picture

 "These fruit snacks are pretty good mom. Maybe I'll forgive you." Picture

Mediocre parenting moment....but it worked. Mary Poppins knew what she was talking about when she said, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

I don't question that sugar works as an emotional pacifier, but I'm trying really hard to find healthier emotional pacifiers in my life. Some things that have worked for me are: writing, reading a book, taking a quiet moment to rest, turning on music, cuddling with my boys, and calling my Mama on the phone. 

Do you try to substitute healthier rewards instead of sugar for you and/or your kids?
My kids are very "treat motivated", so I would love to hear your non- food reward ideas!

What's your favorite treat?
I have an intense love for soft chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment